The Islamic State suicide bombers attacked on Thursday outside Kabul airport were crowds of people gathered hoping to flee Taliban-controlled Afghanistan.
One outside Hamid Karzai International Airport and the second at the nearby Baron Hotel, killed 13 U.S. service members and dozens of Afghan civilians. Over 150 people were wounded, including 18 U.S. service members as President Joe Biden vowed to hunt down those responsible.
However, the Taliban claimed the two blasts killed between 13 and 20 people. A health official in the previous government said the toll could rise to 60.
President Joe Biden has vowed to “hunt” down the terrorists and make them “pay” for the deadly attacks outside the Kabul airport in which 13 US service members were killed and 18 others wounded.
The US forces have predicted more blasts in the coming days in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul after two explosions killed scores of Afghans and 13 US troops on Thursday.
Two suicide bombers and gunmen attacked crowds of Afghans at Kabul airport and near the 160-room Baron Hotel. Terrorist organization ISIS-K has claimed the responsibility for the twin explosions.
Addressing “To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm notice, we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay. I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command,” Biden told reporters at the White House on Thursday.
The Islamic State Islamic State has officially claimed responsibility for the Kabul airport attack. At least 60 people have been killed after two explosions occurred outside Kabul airport on Thursday evening. A third blast occurred in the vicinity of the airport when a Taliban vehicle hit an IED in central Kabul.
Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar briefed leaders of various political parties on the prevailing situation in Afghanistan on Thursday. During the key meet, Jaishankar said India is trying to evacuate as many people as possible.
Answering a reporter’s question on the ongoing unrest in Afghanistan, US President Joe Biden said, “I bear responsibility for fundamentally all this happened of late. But here’s the deal: You know as well as I do that the former president made a deal with the Taliban.”
Biden also held a moment of silence to honor the American service members who lost their lives in the blast calling them “heroes” and “the best the country has to offer.”
“The lives we lost today were lives given in the service of liberty, the service of security, the service of others, in the service of America,” he said from the White House.
However, despite the attack the withdrawal will continue said Biden.
“We will respond with force and precision, at our time, at the place we choose and at the moment of our choosing,” he added.